Based on: Opinion: Here’s the terrible secret about why Democrats did a complete 180 on illegal immigration and border security – Fox News https://apple.news/Alx-gWczdT6Cdo7dPJnsN-Q
The above caught my eye and will be helpful for those who plan to canvass this fall on foot, by phone, letter writing whatever.
First, as you’re probably aware, RW media is modern day nationalist propaganda. They quite literally propagate (extremely) biased information for the sake of achieving an objective. Like advertising, except it aggressively attacks, is unregulated and carries severe national consequences. Fox News is the ring leader but there are many many others who serve this purpose. They function effectively as state-sponsored media like that of China, Russia and North Korea (at its worst).
This op-ed is a good example. It happens to be the *top trending news piece* on the Apple app this morning. It seeks to denigrate enemies / detractors and covers many of the bogus arguments of the president / GOP / Trump supporters issue about Democrats. To be sure, left wingers would write a piece of hackery – with huge political consequence – like this but it would not appear in the top mainstream media publication and would not be trending at #1.
For fun, I went through point by point debunking each. Skip to the conclusion if you are tired of proving Trumpers wrong.
– Obama is a “hypocrite” on illegal immigration because…soundbite deliberately / misinterpreted taken out of context from 2006
– Opposing a “big beautiful wall” is somehow pro illegal immigration
– “Abolishing ICE” argument conveniently excludes replacing it with less fantastically corrupt and abusive agency AND **will not** alter the nation’s immigration laws (per WaPo)
– “Secure Fence Act” =/= “big beautiful (expensive) wall”
– The “hard left” (whatever that is) would gladly take universal healthcare…even if it came from Trump. That’s stupid
– Democrats *gave* wall funding in return for DACA path to citizenship. Just lies
– The legislation proposed to “abolish ICE”, again, *will not* alter the nation’s immigration laws
– Class sizes and employment for low income workers are somewhat affected but, let’s be honest, most Trump supporters *don’t* do the jobs of undocumented immigrants because…it’s hard labor. Snowflakes
– Undocumented *do not* receive social benefits unless you count parks, ERs (at risk of being deported) and air. They don’t collect welfare, the don’t have healthcare, they don’t have the same labor protections as citizens, cops arrest them at first sight and they can’t vote.
RW media continues to be one of the most dangerous threats to our democracy. More than the politicians who are in most cases the propaganda’s source, RW media has the benefit of reaching millions of people in a variety of formats and styles, packed with entertainment and well-articulated prose sprinkled with, most importantly, bits of facts here and there (key to good propaganda is the presence of grains of truth).
They take advantage of our population’s inadequate education levels and relatively poor literacy/critical thinking skills. No wonder most republicans think college is a waste of time (http://thehill.com/homenews/news/341305-poll-most-republicans-say-colleges-have-negative-impact-on-us). Most people – including several intelligent friends of mine – who consume can’t effectively tell the difference between a meaningful statistic and one that’s trotted out to make the argument *seem* stronger (ie any immigration argument a la the above piece)
More critically, RW media attacks attacks attacks and tries to poke holes in MSM and Democrats positions. Sometimes they do effectively, but that’s their primary function. They’re perpetually on the offensive. If I constantly attacked my enemy for being wrong, I’d hit the barn once or twice out of 100. They do this, because its nearly impossible to accurately defend *their own* policy positions. They don’t have much to report on stuff like repealing the ACA, tax cuts, the popularity of gun control, 1st trimester abortions and Trump’s bungling and selling out of national security so they instead attack celebrity and Democratic politician gaffes. “LOOK AT THIS CRAZY LEFTY! Is this who want running our country?!” and make it more about culture than policy. It’s much easier to attack than it is support and explain, and it’s impossible to truthfully support the really unpopular.
We need to do something about the RW media machine. It’s gotten out of control. “But Billy, it’s always been out of control, though?”. Nope. Remember RW media is really not that old. Fox News *started* in the 1996. Only 20 years ago. The conservative upstarts like Breitbart, Daily Caller, Daily Wire only 5-10 years ago. They are pretty nascent.
We need to bring back something that resembles the fairness doctrine. A gov media watchdog. Sorry, staunch free speechers, it has to be done. Police the left too while we are at it.